Thursday, July 9, 2009

In search of...


So I haven't updated in awhile, but that was expected. Fred and I just closed on a house on Monday, and we're getting married mid-September, so I've also been busy trying to plan for that. Moving on from the excuses.

I'm going to rant for a little bit about a long lost recipe that I and a few unsuccessful others have attempted to find.

When I was growing up in California, one of my favorite treats was a cookie sold in the bakeries at Von's Pavillions Grocery Stores. They just called it the Divinity Cookie, and it was a light, melt in your mouth, pastel colored cookie with chocolate chips. To try to explain the texture a little more, it was somewhere between the texture of a meringue cookie and a Pecan Sandie, with little pockets of air. There's nothing else like it in the world, I am convinced of this.

I have scoured the internet looking for the recipe to no avail. However, I did come up with one that looks likely to be tasty here. So tonight I will be making these cookies. I am crossing my fingers that this might actually be the recipe and just doesn't look like it.

Here goes!

So, all the dry ingredients are here. I used cake flour instead of all purpose flour.


Here are all the wet ingredients. I debated on substituting 2 egg whites for the 1 whole egg, but in the interest of experimentation, I will leave that for after the first taste test.


All mixed together. I skipped out on the nuts because the cookies I'm after did not have nuts. I'm sure it's wonderful with them, though.


All lined up and ready for baking! Rather than roll them into balls and press them, I decided to go for a more free-form approach to try and stay true to the cookie I am so desperately in search of.


So, they flattened out a bit in the baking process and now look like this:


And the final moment of truth, the taste test. Sadly, this is not the recipe. That being said, these are pretty delicious. They're ever so slightly chewy, very tender, and not too cloyingly sweet. Also, this recipe was really fast! I could whip these up any time I have an extra half hour on my hands. That's a little dangerous. Fred likes them a whole lot! He kept eying them while I was taking the final photos, and once I looked like I was done, he dove right in. I foresee that these will be added to my ever growing collection of Christmas cookie recipes!

1 comment:

  1. lol, this is a long time since you posted this, did you ever find it? I used to get them from a bakery in Bellflower.I've seen them at Albertson's once many years ago. It's a hard recipe to find. I lost my copy (thats why I'm scouring the internet right now) It is somewhat similar to an Angel Cookie 11 recipe that floats around the internet. I know they have crisco, powdered sugar and just enough flour to hold them together. I dream of the damn things. If you've had any luck, please let me know

    ReplyDelete